[Lustre-devel] Readx issue

Tom.Wang Tom.Wang at Sun.COM
Fri Aug 22 11:44:11 PDT 2008

Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On 8/21/08 10:56 PM, "Tom.Wang" <Tom.Wang at Sun.COM> wrote:
>
>> Since the target here is to issue the vector read extents req parallel,
>> so I chosed to implement that by read-ahead
>> group io, which is async and parallel. And also by this way, it will not
>> touch other module of lustre.
>>
>> In vector read-ahead, each read request will control their read-ahead by
>> itself, instead of by the current read-ahead window, where multi
>> read-threads(for the same file) use single read ahead window.
>>
>> Because current read-ahead
>>   1)Use a single continuous RA window to control the read ahead.
>>   2)The read-ahead moves forward according to the global RA window(for
>> all the read threads of this file), so it tries to favour all the read
>> threads of the file,
>>

> Tom,
> the current readahead mechanism is done on a per-file-descriptor basis.
> Are the threads in question here actually sharing the same file descriptor
> (i.e. file was opened once, then threads forked and descriptor is copied),
> or is each thread opening the file itself?  In the latter case we _should_
> have a separate readahead window for each thread already...

Hi, Andreas
I am not sure which case readx might met, probably in most cases, only 1
read thread for each file.  The point here is that it is hard for readx
to merge
the discontinuous read-ahead extents in the current read-ahead window, once
several threads access the same file descriptor(although it is rare).
And also
it is not easy to to control these discontinuous read-ahead extents by
current
read-ahead window pointers (ras_next_readahead, ras_start/end). So I choose
to put those vector extents to the ll_ra_read and attached to each
thread instead
of file. And also with this way, you do not need touch current
read-ahead algorithm
for readx.

Thanks
WangDi