[Lustre-devel] [RFC] "lctl readonly" modification proposal

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Thu Aug 28 13:25:41 PDT 2008

On Aug 28, 2008  10:11 -0700, Nathaniel Rutman wrote:

> umount does either force or failover shutdown; failover sets readonly
> but force does not.  Test-framework regularly does both.  Andreas, if
> you want to avoid journal recovery, use umount -f.

Well, issue is that with normal mount/unmount the filesystem is always
dirty and needs journal recovery.  Also, for the DMU, where we will
likely not have "read-only" support we need to be able to just block
all client transactions and flush everything to disk, doing a normal
shutdown.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.