[Lustre-devel] imperative recovery

Nathaniel Rutman Nathan.Rutman at Sun.COM
Thu Dec 18 12:15:06 PST 2008

Eric Barton wrote:

>> Other options I've thought of to explore this idea:
>>
>> - MGS notifies clients (somehow) after a server has restarted.

This seems like a no-brainer easy win today, and doesn't depend on any
advanced features like message priority.  The only scalability issue
would seem to be the broadcast of the message to all clients, but this
is no different than the current broadcast mechanism the MGS employs to
update client configs.  The message from the MGS would be taken as a
suggestion, "Why don't y'all time out all your current RPCs since I
noticed OST0004 restarted.  Oh, and use failover nid #2."  Current
replay/recovery need not be touched.