[Lustre-devel] [Fwd: feed api, rev2]

Nathaniel Rutman Nathan.Rutman at Sun.COM
Mon Feb 4 14:39:36 PST 2008

Andreas Dilger wrote:

> With the change to force the "ONESHOT" behaviour, this hurts the ability
> of the userspace process to pipeline operations.  No matter how large a
> read the user process does, it will eventually have to finish processing
> ALL of the records before it can read any more, or they will be lost on
> the next read and any application failure will result in lost records
> if they are not completely processed.  I preferred the ability to
> explicitly cancel records.

There are arguments on both sides.   I'd really like to stay away from
having
multiple cancellation mechanisms though - I think this will be extra
work and
extra confusion.
With explicit cancel and a regular file we can have multiple readers all
reading the same audit log,
which is a big plus. (Record would be purged at first cancel.) This adds
complication
for the users though, which is a minus: they must now a) persistently
keep track of
their last-processed record ID, b) explicitly cancel records, c) map
record numbers
to file offsets.  I think c) is a real hassle.
With explicit cancel and a FIFO we have a) and b), but not c), but not
multiple
readers either.