[Lustre-devel] Lustre HSM HLD draft

Ricardo M. Correia Ricardo.M.Correia at Sun.COM
Mon Feb 11 13:11:43 PST 2008

Hi,

On Seg, 2008-02-11 at 11:18 -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> On Feb 08, 2008  16:55 +0100, Aurelien Degremont wrote:
> > But the touch could be problematic. Lustre gurus, is there another time
> > field we could use instead ? Should we add a
> > "last-modification-field-which-ignore-touch" ? Is this really a problem
> > is we use display a "touched" time ? In this case, we display what the
> > user set on the file, we suppose he did it in purpose.
>
> (snip)
>
> In ZFS I believe there is also a "last modified transaction group" (txg)
> number stored with each dnode that could be used in a similar manner.

Hmm.. I think ZFS only has zp_gen in the dnode/znode, which is the txg
of the file creation. We also cannot use the txg birth time of the block
where the dnode is stored because a metadnode block holds several
dnodes.

I may be missing something here, but isn't the "ctime" the appropriate
value to use here?

Regards,
Ricardo

--