[Lustre-devel] Lustre HSM HLD draft

Rick Matthews Richard.Matthews at Sun.COM
Mon Feb 11 14:46:07 PST 2008

I'm probably responsible for opening this can of worms. I inferred from
the HSM HLD that
mtime was proposed to be used for state change, or version of the
file/object. As the discussion
bears out, mtime for this purpose would be a bad idea. A reliable way of
detecting change is
needed, and if it already exists withing Lustre, great!.

What I think is far more significant is the involvement of the community
on issues
such as this. More folks examining (and critiquing) the details, the
better.
Nice to see such an active community.

Rick Matthews                           email: Rick.Matthews at sun.com
Sun Microsystems, Inc.                  phone:+1(651) 554-1518
1270 Eagan Industrial Road              phone(internal): 54418
Suite 160                               fax:  +1(651) 554-1540
Eagan, MN 55121-1231 USA                main: +1(651) 554-1500