[Lustre-devel] Global generic database

Peter J Braam Peter.Braam at Sun.COM
Thu Feb 14 06:57:16 PST 2008

Hmm ... here are my thoughts.

1. The word scalable is missing below.

2. Any database that relates to file system policies and file system
objects (HSM?) should be a separate mechanism coupled to the file
system, so that you can pick up the server disks and the policies.

3. I think all updates to the database should be made on the server, and
the use cases should be restricted (e.g. this is for relatively small
databases).

4. Imho pools belong in the configuration log.

5. Fileset attributes belong with the file system (see 2) - either these
are implemented as special directory files and/or EA's (does the design
specify the purpose and items that need to be stored in databases?).

Hmm, so can we revisit why we need a new database mechanism?

- Peter -