[Lustre-devel] subtree locks and path re-validation avoidance

Peter J Braam Peter.Braam at Sun.COM
Fri Feb 22 19:15:06 PST 2008

I'd like to make a suggestion to perhaps immediately find the right
primitives for getcwd to return a reasonably correct pathname in
Lustre.  I believe this is the simplest case where I have seen pathname
revalidation being important.  In the context of that example the
subtree lock discussion might gain more clarity.

I would also like to note that I had a discussion with Linus at one of
the kernel workshops in Ottawa maybe almost 4-5 years ago.  First Linus
attacked the idea of using file identifiers - he suggested that doing
everything with pathnames was better (which is what InterMezzo did).
When we explained to him that this requires locking all parents he began
to see the problems we had with this and understood the locking at the
fid/name level that we use in Lustre.  I found little resistance when I
mentioned to him that for this model the VFS does not have a correct
implementation of getcwd, unless the dcache is kept current.

UCSC has received funding from the National Labs and now been turned
into a peta-scale I/O institute I believe did more results on file
systems implemented with pathnames.  Some things are beautiful and easy
with pathnames, but others get really ugly, and so far I don't see this
displacing fid ideas that govern NFS, AFS and Lustre.

- Peter -