[Lustre-devel] How store HSM metadata in MDT ?

Peter Braam Peter.Braam at Sun.COM
Thu Jul 3 14:10:19 PDT 2008

I do understand that we need HSM related metadata, but I learned more from
Rick Matthews (cc'd) who is the architect of Sun's ADM project.  Now I am
not sure I am in agreement with what has been discussed so far.

If there is more than one copy in the archive, it would be preferable if the
archive could maintain a mapping from the Lustre fid of the file to the
archived copies.  Associated with the FID of the data would then be a list
of archived copies, timestamps etc.

Can that be done in HPSS?

If not, policy related operations like purging older files etc will become
very complex and not scalable.  For example, a search to find older files in
the archive would require an e2scan operation to find the inodes and then
the objects in the archive.  If the file system was not available anymore
(for whatever reason), it is not even clear that such a purge could still
happen.

With an archive based database this can be an indexed search in the archive,
which is faster and more appropriate.

Clearly this has a major impact on how much attribute space we need.

Thoughts?

Peter