[Lustre-devel] How store HSM metadata in MDT ?

Peter Braam Peter.Braam at Sun.COM
Fri Jul 11 15:03:18 PDT 2008

On 7/11/08 8:32 AM, "Jacques-Charles Lafoucriere" <jc.lafoucriere at cea.fr>
wrote:

>>> One coordinator per MDT.
>>>

>> No - these must be independent considerations.  A coordinator may be much
>> slower than an MDS node in handling a single file.  I say this because this
>> has been the experience in the industry so far - with small files the HSM
>> can not at all keep up.
>>

> Why a coordinator should be on a slower node than a MDS ?
> Coordinator is a Lustre service  like other Lustre services so it will be on a
> right hardware

I see no reason whatsoever to couple them to MDT¹s.  Keeping them de-coupled
is more flexible and can scale better.  Am I missing issues here?

As for performance the following: a coordinator may have a lot of work to do
to track which files still need to be handled by agents and which are in
progress already and may have a fair amount of interaction with agents (not
with HSM to tape but when a coordinator is handling a re-striping migration
it will). But its interaction with the MDT¹s is very limited.  So we could
degrade the performance of an MDS by placing this on the same node.  Let¹s
keep this flexible please.

Peter