[Lustre-devel] security: MGS connection

Eric Mei Eric.Mei at Sun.COM
Thu Jun 5 09:19:36 PDT 2008

Eric Barton wrote:
> Comments inline

MGS can easily enforce that. The "who" actually means "which node".

>>> I don't think it's acceptable to allow a previous mount to compromise
>>> the security of a later mount.
>> Indeed it looks not so good. But the fact of per-node shared MGS
>> connection means only one flavor could be used. To avoid the confusion,
>> to me the only way is don't allow the choice via mount option, instead
>> to choose a "proper" one automatically somehow.
>
> It's OK if the MGS will reject any connection attempt with insufficient
> security.  In that case, you could put the security in the mount option
> and it should probably be an error to specify different levels of security
> when talking to the same MGS.

I guess there's misunderstanding. The problem is not on MGS, it's on
MGC. Each node have only one MGC, thus only one ptlrpc connection to
MGS, which is shared by _all_ Lustre components live on this node. So in
case of mounting 2 OSTs on a single node, only one security flavor could
be used.

>>> XXX
>>>
>>> This raises the interesting question of whether servers (MGS included) can
>>> demand a minimim level of security from clients connecting to them.  Is this
>>> normally part of configuring security on a given node (e.g. to set the
>>> machine credentials you mentioned above)?
>> This is the root problem I guess: we can't assume there's security
>> environment ready on each nodes.
>
> If the site needs security, it must be set up correctly.  Whether this is
> done within lustre config or outside of it, or both is not the main point -
> it _has_ to be set up correctly.
>
>> The procedure of setup gss/kerberos is not extremely easy: configure
>> KDC, installing keytabs, configure gssapi, keyring, etc. And for most
>> Luster clusters, strong security are not needed at all, so people most
>> likely choose to skip that.
>
> 1. Making lustre easy to deploy with a null security flavor is a requirement
> for sites that have no need for security.
>
> 2. Making it hard to deploy lustre with non-obvious "holes" in its security is
> a requirement for sites that need security.
>
> 3. Making it easy to test lustre with security enabled anywhere is a "nice to have"
> but not a requirement and it must certainly not be prioritised over (1) and (2).

OK I understand. But I didn't mean people should skip security setting
if strong security is needed. I meant in most cases strong security is
not needed, thus people _will_ skip security setting, and in any case a
proper security to MGS should be chosen.

--
Eric