[Lustre-devel] some thoughts on COS

Alexander Zarochentsev Alexander.Zarochentsev at Sun.COM
Tue Jun 10 11:50:32 PDT 2008

hello Alex,

On 5 June 2008 16:27:27 Alex Zhuravlev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think it could be great if we can use LDLM for COS. at the very
> first view it looks possible:
> 1) each server lock is tagged with client unique id (uuid/export
> addr/etc) 2) mds registers own blocking AST function
> 3) locks to be used rep-ack's aren't released upon ACK, only upon
> commit 4) whenever conflict is observed by LDLM at enqueue time,
> MDS's blocking AST function is called and depending on whetner
> conflicting locks are taken on behalf same or different clients, the
> function issues sync causing commit and old lock to be released later

There could be dependency between operations and no lock conflicts at
all, just because the PW lock is released already but the changes are
not yet committed. Then we have no blocking AST and no commit.

It is why LDLM seems not a good place to do COS, LDLM deals with locks
and their conflicts but the COS deals with dependency info their
conflicts?) which has lifecycle and semantics different from LDLM
locks.

> but one use case isn't that obvious. it's OK when first lock L1 was
> from client C1 with PW mode and new lock is also from C1/PW. but then
> we have a situation with same client, but locks are PW then PR:
> 1) we wouldn't want to sync just because client does mkdir a; touch a
> 2) thus we have to grant PR lock (so, first problem - sometimes PW
> and PR doesn't conflict?)
> 3) if we cancel PW to grant PR, then we'd have to make this PR
> conflicting with any PR coming from different client?
> 4) changing PR to PW in order to inherit state? (client side doesn't
> expect such locks_

we just don't expect the lock to exist as long as the changes stay not
committed, so LDLM can't catch the dependency between the operations.

> all of this doesn't sound like a good solution, IMHO. at least it'd
> require serious changes in LDLM while we're talking about 1.6/1.8 ...
> so we need another way.
>
> probably we could re-use VBR as each inode change goes with new
> persistent version and version is numerically equal to transno,
> comparing inode's version with last committed transno we can learn
> whether the inode is committed?
>
> next problem is to learn source of change, i.e. client. in the worst
> case all changes are from different clients, thus every change means
> sync. but if we *cache* source information we probably can avoid
> majority of syncs. IOW, we don't need to track source all the time,
> it should be enough if we have this information most of time. so,
> storing it in in-core inode is good enough probably. following this
> way we don't need to care about inode's lifetime.
>
> thanks, Alex

Thanks,
--
Alexander "Zam" Zarochentsev