[Lustre-devel] Feature request: expand SNMP scope

Kilian CAVALOTTI kilian at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 11 11:12:35 PDT 2008

Hi,

After a discussion started on lustre-discuss@ [1], I'd like to join
other users [2] to make an official feature request about the Lustre
SNMP module.

I believe it could be extremely useful for Lustre systems administrators
to get more than just the number of free space and available objects
from the SNMP module.  For instance, it could be interesting to get the
following live stats through SNMP:
on clients: /proc/fs/lustre/llite/*/stats
on OSSes:   /proc/fs/lustre/obdfilter/*/stats
on MDSes:   /proc/fs/lustre/mds/*/stats on MDSes.

But it would be especially interesting to not limit the SNMPable values
to just a subset of what's available in /proc/fs/lustre. Since it looks
like some work has begun to rework the Lustre /proc structure [3],
maybe it would be the right opportunity to incorporate SNMP more
closely into the new UI. The idea being to translate everything
available in /proc into SNMP variables, so that future variables could
be exported too, without having to explicitly add them to the SNMP
code.

I have little idea on how easily this can be achieved, but that would be
an excellent foundation stone for next-to-come Lustre monitoring
systems.

[1]http://lists.lustre.org/pipermail/lustre-discuss/2008-March/005277.html
[2]http://lists.lustre.org/pipermail/lustre-devel/2008-January/001504.html,
and bug #14729
[3]http://lists.lustre.org/pipermail/lustre-devel/2008-January/001475.html

Thanks!
--
Kilian

PS: I also created bug #15197 to keep track of this.