[Lustre-devel] Wide area use of Lustre and client caches

Fri May 9 10:08:22 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 09:08 -0600, Peter Braam wrote:
> Nono - striping should only be used to get more bandwidth from servers.  The
> correct solution to the problem you point out is a lock conversion,

Indeed, I have heard that term being used and figured that that is what
it was all about, however...

> planned
> long ago, still far away maybe (Nikita?).

Given that it's not yet available and won't be for some time, isn't
breaking a file up into many objects via striping a sufficient
alternative to the problem?

Are there other problems caused by striping a file (that technically
doesn't need more bandwidth) that outweigh the benefits of not having to
toss so much cache away when a file is written to (i.e. assuming the
cost of reading the file is high such as it would be on a WAN link)?

b.