[Lustre-devel] proposal to increase seek in sgpdd_survey

Fri Oct 10 12:02:37 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 21:38 +0100, Eric Barton wrote:
> Brian, Andreas,
>
> I'm cc-ing lustre-devel since this is of general interest.

Sounds good.

> My comments inline...

Mine too, as always.  :-)

I just want to clarify, this idea is not mine.  I don't want to take
credit for something that is not actually mine.  The idea comes from a
bug filed by one of our support engineers, Kevin Van Maren.

Just for clarification Eric...  Are you advocating num_gaps ==
num_regions or num_gaps == num_regions-1?  i.e. in a two region test
should the second region start at 50% of the disk or 100%-$region_size
so that the last byte of the second region is written to the last byte
of the disk?

It seems to me that the first option provides a more "middle of the
road" (which might correlate to real-world averages more closely)
average as it only incorporates a seek of half the disk whereas the
second option provides a more worst case performance result.

> This proposal _totally_ matches the original intent.  This feature of
> the current implementation is a bug.

Fair enough.  :-)

>   Mea maxima culpa...

:-)