[Lustre-devel] CMD directory split

Eric Barton eeb at sun.com
Tue Sep 16 04:05:56 PDT 2008

Guys,

I'm cc-ing lustre-devel - it's of general interest.

I definitely think the first CMD product releases should stick to
static directory layouts with all directories contained within a
single MDT by default - i.e. you have to do something special to
create a striped dir.  Meanwhile we should start ASAP on completing
the design of automatic dir splitting to handle _all_ the recovery
cases.

IMHO, a one-time-only directory split seems a bit too all-or-nothing.
What is the reasoning behind the assumption that further splitting is
not required?  Also, directory size doesn't necessarily seem like the
only or even the best clue about when to split and how.  So here are a
couple of suggestions.

1. Consider the split from 1 MDT to several just as a special case of
   migration - i.e. allow arbitrary n->m re-layout over MDTs.  We
   would like to support metadata migration in any case for space
   management.  Andreas' ideas about migration by mirroring seem
   equally applicable to directories (furthermore mirrored directories
   seem like a valuable component of a namespace availability and
   resilience feature).

2. Keep the discussion on policy (when to split) separate from
   mechanism (how to split).

    Cheers,
              Eric