[Lustre-devel] Doubly indexed tree / changelogs

Nikita Danilov Nikita.Danilov at Sun.COM
Tue Sep 23 00:38:45 PDT 2008

Peter Braam writes:
 > Hi Nikita, Nathan -
 >
 > After some pondering I have come to two conclusions.
 >
 > To encode filesets, we need a tree that makes two iterations fast:
 >
 > 1. list all filesets that contain a certain object
 > 2. list all objects in a certain fileset
 >
 > Is there a doubly indexed tree for this?

I don't know of a data-structure that provides ready solution for this.
As Alex pointed out k-d-trees do not fit there (they effectively use a
key composed of the alternating sequences of bits of the original keys),
and `geographical trees' that data bases use to store 2-d data use very
special notion of proximity.

But, thinking about a fileset as a generalized directory, isn't this the
same problem as `list all files in directory' and `find all parent
directories of a file'? It probably makes sense to use the same
mechanism to deal with directories and filesets.

Our current solution is to use EA to keep track of all parent
directories, do you see any problems with applying it to filesets?

 > Peter

Nikita.