[Lustre-devel] Doubly indexed tree / changelogs

Nathaniel Rutman Nathan.Rutman at Sun.COM
Tue Sep 23 14:46:38 PDT 2008

Peter Braam wrote:

> On 9/23/08 11:49 AM, "Nathaniel Rutman" <Nathan.Rutman at Sun.COM> wrote:
>

>> I actually added a "previous record" pointer in each changelog entry,
>> but fill it in only where it is cheap -- when the metadata object is
>> already in the cache I record the last changelog entry there. If it's
>> not in the cache, I don't know where the last record associated with
>> that fid is. We could store the last record number with the inode (EA?),
>> but that would potentially be painful if we are recording e.g. file
>> open/closes.
>>

> Previous records are free - you get the previous one from the EA in the
> inode, and replace the inode with the record info of the record you are
> adding.  But for rename operations and others there are multiple pointers
> like this needed.

Currently I'm not reading or writing any EA for the changelog. Yes, if
you want to tie in the fwd/back ptrs to the inode itself we need to do
this, but I thought we were specifically discussing alternatives to
doing that here (e.g. "auxiliary directory file mapping inodes to many
changelog entries".) If we are e.g. recording every open/close for a
file, do we really want to read/write the EA on the MDT every time, in
addition to the changelog llog entry?