[Lustre-devel] client side reply handling

Liang Zhen Zhen.Liang at Sun.COM
Tue Dec 15 18:55:11 PST 2009

Peter,

It depends on how buffers are attached to portal, ptlrpc has three cases
of this:
1. If buffer is for incoming request (not for RDMA, so it's not unique
match)
    the MD is constructed with lnet_md_t::threshold = LNET_MD_THRESH_INF,
    so it will be unlinked only for two cases:
    a) user call LNetMDUnlink explicitly
    b) the buffer is exhausted (lnet_md_exhausted() return 1 in LNet)
    Once LNet get a request for that buffer, it will change offset of
the buffer so
it wouldn't be overwritten by the next match, it's possible that upper
layer is handing
the request, and the buffer is still on match list

2. If buffer is for bulk (it's unique)
    the MD is constructed with lnet_md_t::threshold = 1, and
    LNetMDAttach(...LNET_UNLINK...)
    so LNet will auto-unlink the buffer from match list once it got a
match, I think
this is the case you want

3. If the buffer is for reply (it's unique as well)
    the MD is constructed with lnet_md_t::threshold = LNET_MD_THRESH_INF,
so it's same as 1), the buffer wouldn't be unlinked unless user call
LNetMDUnlink
or LNetMEUnlink, so safety of reply buffer can be guaranteed only if user is
sure the buffer is unlinked.

Regards
Liang