[Lustre-devel] Sub Tree lock ideas.

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Tue Feb 3 01:04:09 PST 2009

On Feb 03, 2009  01:24 -0500, Oleg Drokin wrote:
>>> Perhaps another useful addition would be to deliver multiple blocking
>>> and glimpse callbacks from server to the client in a single RPC (as a
>>> result of a readdir+ sort of operation inside a dir where many files
>>> have "entire file lock") (we already have aggregated cancels in the
>>> other direction).
>>
>> Well, I'm not sure how much batching we will get from this, since it
>> will be completely non-deterministic whether multiple independent
>> client requests can be grouped into a single RPC.
>
> It would be a lot of batching in many common usecases like "untar a
> file", "Create a working files for applications, all in same dir/dir tree".

Maybe I misunderstand, but all of this batching is in the case of a single
client that is doing operations to send to the MDS.  What I was thinking
would be a rare case is batching from the server to the client when e.g.
a bunch of clients independently open a bunch of files that are in a
directory for which a client holds a STL.

In the latter case, since all of the RPCs are coming from different clients,
it is much harder for the server to group them together into a single RPC
to send to the STL client.

> From the above my conclusion is we do not necessarily need SubTree locks
> for efficient metadata write cache, but we do need it for other
> scenarios (memory conservation). There are some similarities in the
> functionality too, but also some differences.
>
> One particular complexity I see with multiple read-only STLs is every
> modifying metadata operation would need to traverse the metadata tree
> all the way back to the root of the fs in order to notify all possible
> clients holding STL locks about the change about to be made.

Sorry, I was only considering the case of a 1-deep STL (e.g. a DIR lock,
not the arbitrary-depth STL you originally described).  In that case,
there is no requirement for more than a single level of STL to be
checked/cancelled if a client is doing some modifying operation therein.
This is no different than e.g. if a bunch of clients are holding the
LOOKUP lock on a directory that has a new entry in it.

Eric also had a proposal that the DIR lock would be a "hash extent" lock
instead of a single bit, so that it would be possible (via lock conversion)
to avoid cancelling all of the entries cached on a client when a single
new file is being added.  Only the hash range of the entry being added
would need to be removed from the lock, either via a 3-piece lock split
(middle extent being cancelled) or via a 2-piece lock split (smallest
extent being cancelled).

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.