[Lustre-devel] Sub Tree lock ideas.

Oleg Drokin Oleg.Drokin at Sun.COM
Thu Feb 5 09:01:19 PST 2009

Hello!

On Feb 4, 2009, at 9:39 AM, Nikita Danilov wrote:
>>> Yes, this is the case I meant. So we have to track (and recover)
>>> current
>>> directories for all client processes.
>> Yes.
>> We do this with locks.
> Hm.. I don't think we currently keep locks on the working directories.

Well, we do because we get them during lookup.
That does not mean we hold these locks permanently, of course.

>> If lock is invalid, we are forced to back-traverse the path until we
>> meet any client-visible lock or rot of the filesystem.
> I just thought about another interesting use case.
> Imagine client C0 holding a lock on /a/b/f, and C1 holding a STL
> lock on
> /D. Now client C2 does mv /a /D. C2 crosses STL boundary, gets
> notified
> about STL, gets the cookie, etc. But now C1 is having a lock on /D/a/
> b/f
> --- under an STL.

That's fine.
STL is limited by below locks.
When STL-holding client gets a callback about modification in D (bad
example,
actually, since by my idea any modifications in /D would then require
STL lock
to go away, so let's suppose the rename was to D/d1/), so callback about
modification of /D/d1, the STL holder have choices of basically :
1. getting rid of STL - which avoids the whole problem.
OR
2. Flush it's own cache of /D/d1 and everything in that subtree and
allow
to grant locks there to other clients.

Now STL-holder knows nothing about /D/d1 anymore, and when it needs to
do something
there again, it will start doing lookups there (RPCs to the server)
under STL
until it reaches the lock from C2, at which point STL-reach is stopped
in that
subtree.

Bye,
     Oleg