[Lustre-devel] global epochs vs fsync

Alex Zhuravlev Alex.Zhuravlev at Sun.COM
Thu Jan 15 15:40:41 PST 2009

Hello,

here is another thought ...

whole distributed recovery can be divided into two parts:
* "purge" job, before recovery takes place, we write and purge undo records
* "undo" job, when recovery takes place and we rollback to some consistent state

global epochs do very well "purge job", because of constant overhead.
but when it comes to fsync, global epochs do not because to fsync some epoch
X, we need to wait till all nodes having unstable epochs Y < X report it
to SC and then we have to synchronously write new global stable epoch.
it's especially not very well from reliability point of view - having many
nodes to contribute makes this vulnerable for failures.

with dependencies we could implement more efficient fsync because all you need
is to sync _servers_ holding uncommitted updates for some object and updates it
depends on, we don't need to wait for other nodes, then write some record. IOW,
dependencies do well "undo job", because it's not a global undo of all unlucky
operations, but only really inconsistent ones. but dependencies do bad with "purge
job", because traffic overhead (in bytes) is order of distributed updates.

the question is .... could we use global epochs for "purge" and dependencies for
"undo" ? say, updates are tagged with an epoch and unique tag. for regular activity
global minimum is found in lazy manner. but during recovery we build chains of
dependencies using unique tags and do very selective rollback.

thanks, Alex