[Lustre-devel] SAM-QFS, ADM, and Lustre HSM

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Mon Jan 26 11:47:44 PST 2009

On Jan 23, 2009  10:46 -0600, Harriet G. Coverston wrote:
> SAM supports classification policy rules for files  -- (1) number of
> copies, up to 4 (2) where to put the copies  on which vsn pools  -
> disk and/or tape, local and/or remote) (3) when to make the copies
> (time based archiving). You specify the policy in the archiver.cmd
> file. You can group files for a policy rule by pathname, owner, group,
> size, wildcard, and access time.
>
> This brings up the question of restore. In case of a Lustre disk
> failure, how are you going to restore your Lustre file system?

The initial HSM implementation is focussed mainly on the space management
issues, rather than backup/restore, though of course there is a lot of
overlap between the two and we have discussed backup aspects in the past.

There are two main issues that would need to be addressed:
- a Lustre-level policy on the minimum file size that should be sent to
  the archive.  For Lustre, there would be minimal space savings if a
  small file is moved to the archive, so that would only be useful in
  the archive-as-backup case.

  We would need to decide whether the HPSS implementation can/should
  handle aggregating multiple small files into a single archive object.
  I think that is useful, and this is one reason I advocate being able
  to pass multiple files at once from the coordinator to the agent.

- since the archive does not contain a copy of the namespace (it only
  has 128-bit FIDs as identifiers for the file) we would need to make
  a separate backup of the MDS filesystem (which is all namespace).
  There are already several mechanisms to do this, either using the
  ext2 "dump" program to read from the raw device, or to make an LVM
  snapshot and use e.g. tar to make a filesystem-level backup.  Both
  of these need to include a backup of the extended attributes.

> Agree. I don't see any SAM-QFS code changes required. The Lustre
> copytool will write to HPSS using the HPSS APIs and write to SAM-QFS
> with a ftp or pftp interface. This is minimum changes.

We weren't thinking of using an FTP interface to SAM, though I guess
this is possible.  Rather we were thinking of just mounting both QFS
and Lustre on a Linux client and using "cp" or equivalent tool.
Depending on the performance requirements, it might make sense to
use a smarter tool that avoids the kernel-user-kernel memory copies.

> I do see work to switch the HPSS APIs to ftp or pftp. If this is
> already supported by HPSS, then, yes, no changes are required.

I think CEA is planning on writing a copytool using the HPSS APIs
directly.  There is also "htar" which is a tar-like interface to
HPSS, but I don't think that was anyone's intention to use.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.