[Lustre-devel] LustreFS performance

Nicholas Henke nic at cray.com
Tue Mar 10 07:39:13 PDT 2009

Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Mar 02, 2009  20:04 +0300, Vitaly Fertman wrote:
>>    RAM: enough to have a tmpfs for MDS;

>> **** Statistics ****
>>
>> During all the tests the following is supposed to be running on all
>> the servers:
>> 1) vmstat
>> 2) iostat, if there is some disk activity.
>> smth else?
>
> I would propose either LLNL's LMT or HP's collectl, which both also
> collect Lustre stats.  Those both provide more information than the
> above, and having the IO/CPU load correlated to Lustre RPC counts is
> very useful.

It would be great if we could standardize on a set of tools for performance
issues. I've got to think a set of tools like this would make it easier for
customer & partners to gather the correct data the first time.

Cray has been using lstats, a package of scripts we got from Sun a while back.
We've added things like AT timeout and sar per-cpu usage to it (see bug 18574
att 22140 for complete set of scripts).

I'm all for using collectl, but I think the requirements and setup for LMT makes
  it a tough sell. Does Sun have a set of customizations for collectl or does
the standard collectl collect enough information?

Nic