[Lustre-devel] some observations about metadata writeback cache

Robert Read rread at sun.com
Wed Mar 25 11:03:54 PDT 2009

On Mar 25, 2009, at 09:59 , Alex Zhuravlev wrote:

> RR> Hi Alex,
> RR> I'm trying to figure out how untrusted (what I'm calling simple)
> RR> clients and trusted WBC-type clients will work together at the
> same
> RR> time. Simple clients will need to participate in the oldest
> volatile
> RR> epoch calculation, but will need to retain operations for replay.
> RR> I've draw a simplified picture of how I think things are
> beginning to
> RR> fit together, but more thought is needed here.
>
> RR> Simple clients
> RR>     - don't participate in global epochs
>
> hmm. if committed (in terms of transno) request can be reverted
> during global recovery, then even simple client has to retain
> request on replay list till it's stable in terms of epochs?

Yes, this is why these clients won't see the actual transno(s). Those
would only be in the replay data blob the server returns with the
reply. Instead, the MD server would send the epoch as the  transno in
the reply to these clients.

> RR>     - don't have a node epoch or add epochs to messages
> RR>     - sends operations to MD server
> RR>     - replies include extended opaque "replay" data field
>
> probably we could simplify code a lot if we don't need to put
> reply into request in order to do replay? IOW, make all request's
> fields client-generated?

True, but a request could contain multiple replies (one for each
update), and the client doesn't need to be aware of that. I was
thinking it would be better if the server managed this field.  This
mans the client can replay the request as it was originally sent and
include the additional data at the end so the server can replay the
updates in the correct order.

cheers,
robert