[Lustre-devel] Start the MGS first?

Wed Mar 25 13:00:40 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 12:48 -0700, Nathaniel Rutman wrote:
> As of Lustre 1.6, servers can be started in any order (after the initial registration at first startup).  Internally, this required significant bending of our connection rules, and with a move toward ZFS becomes even more burdensome.
> So my question to the Lustre community is this: would anyone strenuously object to a startup ordering requirement that the MGS must be started before any other servers?
> This would probably be in the Lustre 3.0 timeframe.  It is also likely that we will have to divorce the MGS and MDT onto separate devices -- no more "combo" MDT/MGSes.

I'll ask before anyone else does... would this require the MGS be
available at any time a server (or client?) needs to start rather than
the optional behaviour (for anything but first time server starts) that
we currently enjoy?  IOW, does this make the MGS a much more critical
component of the filesystem than it is currently?

b.