[Lustre-devel] AT and ptlrpc SMP stuff

Eric Barton eeb at sun.com
Tue May 5 04:48:32 PDT 2009

cc-ing Lustre-devel - this is of general interest.

[For people reading on lustre-devel, this refers to the improved SMP
 scaling work Liang is doing]

The problem for a server "hiding" behind a single router centers on the
handling of traffic on the link between them - as you mention in another
mail, that's not a problem for the upper layers in the stack since they
can distribute the work over CPUs by hashing on the end-to-end peer NID.
But I agree that at the lower levels, we need multiple connections each
with separate CPU affinity to avoid contention and assure SMP scaling.

> The only way I can find to resolve this problem is creating multiple
> LNet networks between router and server, so both router and server can
> have multiple peers & connections for remote side. Actually, I think
> it's fair for router/server to take more credits, buffers, CPUs on
> server/router then other clients. We have two options to get this:
>    a)  static config by user, then we don't need change anything, but it
> will increase complexity of network configuration, and some users may
> feel confused.
>    b) LNet can create sub-networks for network of  router&server (we can
> make it tunable), requests will be balanced to different sub-networks.
> We can make it almost transparent to user, it seems dorable to me but I
> haven't estimated how much efforts we need.

The more transparent, the better.  If _all_ configuration could be avoided,
then so much the better.  Multiple connections to the same immediate
physical peer at the LND level allow maximum SMP concurrency, but this is
best detected/managed in the generic LNET code.  This seems to beg for
adding explicit connection handling to the LND API and (as we've know since
forever) would remove a lot of duplication between LNDs.

However I think all we do right now is size the work and leave it pending.
We _can_ achieve the same effect with explicit configuration and the most
important use case right now is the MDS, which should be amply provisioned
with routers where it matters.

    Cheers,
              Eric