[Lustre-devel] new to lustre and bug 18539

Oleg Drokin Oleg.Drokin at Sun.COM
Thu May 21 19:51:58 PDT 2009

Hello!

On May 21, 2009, at 10:46 AM, James Simmons wrote:

> 	For my first dive into the code I'm tackling bug 18539. Of course
> looking at the code base opened up alot of questions. Looking at
> what was
> recommended by Andreas Dilger was to make use of the oscc_flags. The
> other
> part of the solution was to bump up the return value of osc_precreate.
> 	My first set of questions delas with the places where the
> oscc_flag is used in some fashion. I noticed one spot for its use was
> osc_set_info_async. Looking through the code it appears to be only
> called
> by a osc shrink grant which itself appears to happen on a osc
> disconnect.
> This is correct or is this function used in other places? The next

osc_set_info_async (though obd_set_info_async) is used in tons of
places.

> question is about osc_import_events. Does this function handle events
> coming from multiple sources, clients, mds, ost? Also are these events
> the type that are sent out when a state changes versus someone
> sending a
> rpc to request the state?

I do not see such function in my tree.
osc_import_event on the other hand is generic import state notification,
Imports on OSC are only possible from(to) OSTs, so you get
notifications in there
such as import becoming active/inactive/disconnected/invalid (there is
a switch in there that lists all interesting events possible).

> 	My second set of questions deals with osc_statfs*. From the notes
> in the bugzilla osc_statfs_interpret is a MDS side function. Looking
> at
> the code I noticed it is the call back to osc_statfs_async. Knowing
> that osc_statfs_async is a obd_ops and thus has a wrapper,
> obd_statfs_async.
> I scanning the code for this and noticed that this wrapper used with
> the
> proper obd_device for the osc was used in the lov layer. The two
> areas in
> the lov layer where lov_statfs_async and qos_statfs_update handled
> this.
> If I remember right this is on the client side of the code. Where
> does the
> mds fit into this? Lov_statfs_async is for when the client queries
> data

MDS is a client to OSTs, that's why it has client bits to deal with them
(LOV and OSCs).

Bye,
     Oleg