[Lustre-devel] Build system and portability

Andreas Dilger andreas.dilger at oracle.com
Sat Apr 24 21:41:25 PDT 2010

I'm the first one to admit that our build system is crufty. Brian
Murrell is probably going to be the second, and he is the lucky one
that knows the most about it.

The legacy is that it had to be complex in order to allow building
against both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels, but that need is long gone but we
still have the complexity left behind.

I would be thrilled to have someone interested/knowledgable enough to
update it to be more normal, since you want it to be portable to Macos
and we want it to be portable to solaris and windows.

Is this something you are interested to invest some time on fixing, or
is it more a question of curiosity as to how we got into this Rube
Goldberg build system?

Cheers, Andreas