[Lustre-devel] Cannot easily build from master source anymore

Andreas Dilger andreas.dilger at oracle.com
Wed Dec 1 14:54:46 PST 2010

On 2010-12-01, at 12:45, James Simmons wrote:
>> I noticed there was a refactor for packaging and versioning in Lustre
>> prime master branch.
>> Unfortunately, we cannot simply do anymore
>>
>> git clone ...
>> sh ./autogen.sh
>> ./configure ..
>> make
>>
>> to build lustre source
>>
>> What's the trick now ?
>> Maybe it could be useful to update Wiki page:
>> http://wiki.lustre.org/index.php/Building_Lustre_Code
>
> Let me guess.
>
> checking for stdint.h... yes
> checking for unistd.h... yes
> checking whether to configure just enough for make dist... no
> checking for buildid... configure: error: most recent tag found: v2_0_0
> does not match current version 2.0.56.
> make: *** No rule to make target `rpms'.  Stop.
> make: *** No rule to make target `rpms'.  Stop.

My recollection from Brian's previous postings is that this is somehow related to an old "git" version being used.

That said, I'd be happy to remove this as a requirement, and just stick with the version if there is a mismatch, printing only a warning if the git version is too old.

Lustre Technical Lead
Oracle Corporation Canada Inc.