[Lustre-devel] server-side resending & bulk transfer

Eric Barton eeb at sun.com
Fri Feb 5 09:12:51 PST 2010

Johann,

cc-ing lustre-devel.

Yes, the server could retry the bulk if it times out and this
will be safe for the client since its bulk buffer is auto-unlinked,
so only 1 bulk PUT/GET can match it.  But if the problem happens
on the way back to the server rather than the way out to the client,
you're hosed since the bulk has completed from the client's POV.

This should be an exceptional circumstance - i.e. a router has
actually failed - so I think it's better just to stick with the
client retrying from scratch rather than tying down a server thread
until it has decided whether there was a router failure or the
client really crashed.

Roll on the health network! :)

    Cheers,
              Eric