[Lustre-devel] SOM questions

Alex Zhuravlev Alex.Zhuravlev at Sun.COM
Mon Jan 11 07:47:13 PST 2010

I'd say we don't need DW at all.

it's OST who knows whether attributes are stable (no pw locks and
flush/commit is done, so i_blocks won't change till next open/write).

I think in general the procedure to refresh SOM attributes could
look like the following:

1) MDS gets GETATTR and finds the file hasn't been open for a period
    it set special flag in GETATTR reply - say, REFRESH_SOM
2) client does regular enqueue/glimpse to get attributes from OST
3) if OST finds inode is stable (VBR version >= last_committed)
    it set another special flag in reply - say, ATTR_STABLE
4) now, if client has REFRESH_SOME, ATTR_STABLE for all objects
    *and* locks granted, then it can send aggregated attributes to
    MDS to refresh SOM  attributes
5) if the file hasn't been open since that REFRESH SOM, attributes
    can be set

it looks quite simple and with very minimal changes to existing protocol
logic. I also think that following this we don't need dedicated IO epoch
notion and can use regular VBR version increasing on each open.

thanks, Alex