[Lustre-devel] proposal on implementing a new readahead in clio

Matt Wu Qiang.Wu at Sun.COM
Sun Jan 24 22:55:09 PST 2010

We need do readahead asynchronously, but Windows kernel doesn't give us an
easy solution. Here are the issues for Windows readahead:

1, Windows kenrel (VM) doesn't provide kernel drivers an equivalent
grab_cache_page_nowait_gfp() to allocate an empty/invalid page. So in
ll_readpage(), it's too late for WNC to grab more pages for readahead.

2, The routines provided by Windows kernel to allocate page cache are
synchronous and they won't return until the requested pages are fetched.

So we plan to start a thread pool, and dispatch the readahead requests to
these threads instead of blocking user thread.

We can group the threads by several ways:
1, request per random thread, without any specify order. we just start a
fixed number of threads and queue the readahead request to any thread of
the thread pool.
    this is the decision we made during WNC readahead meeting last week.
2, thread per file (file) or thread per open instance (fd)
3, thread per ost, we need divide the readahead request to several which
are stripe boundary aligned.

regards,
matt