[Lustre-devel] clio layer & portability

Ken Hornstein kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Thu Jul 22 09:26:24 PDT 2010

>I am not sure I understand this one. CLIO has it own radix tree to
>index cached pages precisely so that it doesn't depend on whatever
>indexing mechanism the host kernel uses (see cl_page_find0()). There
>are two implementations of a radix-tree in the public Lustre code: one
>using Linux kernel lib/radix-tree.c and another for user space in
>libcfs/posix/libcfs.h. I assume Solaris port has another one.

Weeeelll .... I can't disagree with you, since you wrote that code, but
from my viewpoint there are still a number of assumptions in the CLIO
layer that seem (to my eye) very Linux-specific.  E.g., the use of
macros like PageWriteback, PageLocked, which from my extremely limited
knowledge of MacOS X equivalents to those macros simply don't exist.
If CLIO is more portable than I first thought, hey, great ... I've
spent a long time trying to trace through the CLIO layers and when I
find it quickly diving into Linux VM functions (sadly, things like the
VM code you did for the Panther port aren't available), that worries
and confuses me.  Since the Linux port is really my only example, it's
hard to figure out the line between what the OS needs to provide versus
what I can emulate on my own.  I came to the conclusion that right now
CLIO it was really really tied to the Linux VM system; if that's wrong,
I'll freely own up to getting it wrong! :-)

>The general assumption of CLIO data page caching is that pages (in
>files and stripe objects) are indexed by their linear logical offset
>(page index), that's all. Well, until you look at the direct-IO code
>paths too closely. :-)

Now, here's where we start running into termology issues: when you say
"linear logical offset", do you mean from the beginning of each _file_,
or something else?  You never deal with anything called a "page index"
on MacOS X that I've found, and the whole termology difference makes
things more confusing.

>> management is handled (I'm not aware of any OS, other than Linux, that
>> provides a callback that the OS can use if they are experiencing memory
>> pressure to tell kernel modules to give up pages).
>
>I think any modern UNIX version does this. BSDs and Solaris have
>PUT_PAGE() vnop. When I was porting Lustre to OS X (Panther times)
>there used to be two ways to do this: at the UBC/VFS level and at the
>UPL/Mach level, I am not sure how things work nowadays.

I was thinking more about the shrinker interface, but on closer inspection
that's not used by the CLIO layer; my apologies for saying otherwise.  Of
course you're right about the VNOP_PAGEOUT call (which you mention in your
second email); that's the obvious choice.

--Ken