[Lustre-devel] Attribute caching and OBD_CONNECT_ATTRFID

Ken Hornstein kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Mon Jun 21 12:17:09 PDT 2010

>This is in fact the right way to do it. If the lock is cancelledq then
>the client has no way of knowing whether that name will continue to
>point at the same FID or not.

I guess I was thinking in terms of inodebits locks, you may (for example)
get the file size invalidated, but the name/FID is still the same.  Is
my understanding of inodebits locks wrong?  It's entirely possible that
it is.

>Also note we recently changed the Linux client to invalidate the inode
>when all of the DLM locks related to that inode are cancelled.  This
>ensures the client 'forgets' about deleted inodes even when another
>client deleted it. Otherwise, the client will accumulate a lot of
>unnecessary inodes in cache.

I guess I could simply revoke the vnode when all of the DLM locks for
it are cancelled (that tells the upper layer to forget everything you
knew about the vnode).  That seems ... well, I guess I can't see
anything wrong with it.  I guess now that you mention it, if another
client deletes a file and you don't have a lock on it, you're not
necessarily going to know that the delete happened, will you?
But what happens if that file that's been invalidated is in use?

Hm, actually, I see now that revoking the vnode has unintended
consequences if someone has it open (as in, you won't be able to do
anything but close it).  Perhaps a recycle is better; I'll have to
figure that one out.

Could you point me to the section of the code in the Linux client that
does the inode invalidation upon lock cancellation?  I want to make sure
that I follow it and I'm doing the right thing.

--Ken