[Lustre-devel] Lustre RPC visualization

Andreas Dilger andreas.dilger at oracle.com
Wed Jun 23 08:55:00 PDT 2010

On 2010-06-23, at 05:50, Michael Kluge wrote:
> thanks  for the note. How do I do this if I only have a debug log? I see a field "cluuid+ref" in those lines of the log file that we are interested in. cluuid is probably "client uuid". This UUID is definitely associated to the node, that also owns the NID that appears in the same log line? What does "+ref" stands for?

While Alexey's comment is correct, in that there can be multiple Lustre client mounts on a single node, this is generally only used for testing.  For client connections the UUID is just a random value like "f4726b1e-f7eb-479f-b163-784ea45adf32", so using the NID is much more useful to the viewer in the vast majority of cases.

If you wanted to distinguish the multiple mounts from a single client it would be best to just do this internally by tracking both the NID and the UUID, but only printing the NID on the output.  For the rare case where requests have the same NID but a different UUID you could show this as "NID:2", "NID:3" or similar.  That preserves the distinction between client connections, while not making the output completely useless.

Even better than plain numeric NIDs would be to do IP->hostname conversion for the case of TCP and IB LNDs, if this works.

> Am 23.06.2010 um 12:29 schrieb Alexey Lyashkov:
>
>> I think better to use client UUID instead of NID as client identification. Because in your's case - you can't separate info from two clients which run on same node.
>>

>> On Jun 22, 2010, at 19:12, Michael Kluge wrote:
>>
>>> The remaining problems of the counter calculations have been fixed. There is a screenshot attached showing some values. The code is in a gforge server that we operate here in Dresden (gforge.zih.tu-dresden.de). The converter runs on Linux and on MAC OS X and you need Vampir to take a look at the OTF trace file.
>>>
>>> Eric, Galen, for the moment I think I am done with the stuff I promised you at LUG this year? Are there any more ideas?
>>>

>>> Michael
>>>

>>> <lustre3.png>

>> Alexey Lyashkov
>> alexey.lyashkov at clusterstor.com