[Lustre-devel] readdir for striped dir

Nikita Danilov nikita.danilov at clusterstor.com
Tue Mar 23 12:14:04 PDT 2010

On 23 March 2010 21:23, Andreas Dilger <adilger at sun.com> wrote:
> Hi Nikita,

Hello Andreas,

> On 2010-03-23, at 10:15, Nikita Danilov wrote:

[...]

>> If I understand correctly, the scheme has an advantage of cleaner
>> solution for readdir scalability than "hash adjust" hack of CMD3 (see
>> comment in lmv/lmv_obd.c:lmv_readpage()).
>
> Yes, I saw this for the first time just a few days ago and had to shield my
> eyes :-).

Hehe, wild days, happy memories.

>> The problem, to remind, is that if a number of clients readdir the same
>> split directory, they all hammer the same servers one after another,
>> negating the advantages of meta-data clustering. The solution is to
>> cyclically shift hash space by an offset depending on the client, so that
>> clients load servers uniformly. With 2-level hashing, this shifting can be
>> done entirely within new LMV hash function.
>

> Sure.  Even without the 2-level hashing I wondered why the readdir pages
> weren't simply pre-fetched from a random MDT index (N % nstripes) by each
> client into its cache.

Do you mean that a client reads from servers in order N, N + 1, ..., N
- 1? Or that all clients read pages from servers in the same order 1,
2, ... nrstripes and in addition every client pre-fetches from servers
N, N + 1, ..., N - 1?

As to the first case, a directory entry hash value is used as a value
of ->d_off field in struct dirent. Historically this field means byte
offset in a directory file and hash adjustment tries to maintain its
monotonicity through readdir iterations.

> One question is whether it is important for applications to get entries back
> from readdir in a consistent order between invocations, which would imply
> that N should be persistent across calls (e.g. NID).  If it is important for
> the application to get the entries in the same order, it would mean higher
> latency on some clients to return the first page, but thereafter the clients
> would all be pre-fetching round-robin.  In aggregate it would speed up
> performance, however, by distributing the RPC traffic more evenly, and also
> by starting the disk IO on all of the MDTs concurrently instead of in
> series.

POSIX doesn't guarantee readdir repeatability, I am not sure about NT.

> Cheers, Andreas

Thank you,
Nikita.