[Lustre-devel] changelog for whole filesystem?

Nathan Rutman Nathan_Rutman at xyratex.com
Wed Nov 10 20:15:11 PST 2010

Hello all!
This same "initial population of a database from objects" problem occurs when trying to replicate a Lustre filesystem using the changelog.
The problem is actually more complicated even for a single changelog consumer: since iterating through the virtual changelog takes non-0 time, you're not sure if a virtual record was created before or after an actual changelog entry.  E.g. you might try to resolve the name of a file for a virtual record either before or after a rename, and then later you would see the rename in the changelog, leading to an inconsistent view of the namespace.

If you don't care about having the exact right name, then it's easy enough to ignore inapplicable changelog records.

On Nov 1, 2010, at 11:42 PM, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> On 2010-10-29, at 10:50, Eric Barton wrote:
>> I _do_ like the idea of opening the changelog to see changes either
>> "from now" or "from empty".   But I think the idea needs to worked
>> out fully to support multiple changelog consumers
>
> Definitely.  Since the "from empty" iterator is a virtual iterator in the first place, it seems relatively easy to have a separate iteration index for each one.  The harder part is how to integrate the virtual filesystem iteration.
>
>> - e.g. how to keep
>> multiple placeholders in the object enumeration so that changes to
>> objects yet to be enumerated for a particular consumer are not queued
>> to that consumer.
>
> I was initially thinking that all filesystem events would be queued for each "from empty" iterator, for processing after the full filesystem iteration has completed.  There would be some potential inconsistencies (e.g. creation events for inodes that were iterated, or deletion events for inodes that were not iterated).
>
> This is no worse than doing the iteration with an external tool - if the filesystem is "live" the tool would need to handle these inconsistencies, and if it is offline for the initial iteration there are no inconsistencies.
>
> However, it would also seem possible to use the current inode iteration index as a filter to only keep events for inodes beyond the current index (possibly in a per-consumer log if there are multiple consumers).
>
>> As ever, I'm concerned that what looks like "low
>> hanging fruit" now later turns into technical debt later.
>
> Potentially, yes, which is why I brought it up for discussion.  I definitely think that having a single interface for filesystem iteration makes much more sense than having to traverse the filesystem with an external tool and only then start to use changelogs.

>>> 2) open and process the "scan log"
>>> 3) open and process the standard changelog records that are accumlated since step 1)
>>> we are sure to know all entries in filesystem after those 3 steps.
>>> Policy engine can actually perform 3) at any time. The only contain is to have step 1) before step 2).
>>>
>>> Thomas.

> Cheers, Andreas
> --
> Andreas Dilger
> Lustre Technical Lead
> Oracle Corporation Canada Inc.

This email may contain privileged or confidential information, which should only be used for the purpose for which it was sent by Xyratex. No further rights or licenses are granted to use such information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender by return and delete it. You may not use, copy, disclose or rely on the information contained in it.

Internet email is susceptible to data corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment for which Xyratex does not accept liability. While we have taken reasonable precautions to ensure that this email is free of viruses, Xyratex does not accept liability for the presence of any computer viruses in this email, nor for any losses caused as a result of viruses.

Xyratex Technology Limited (03134912), Registered in England & Wales, Registered Office, Langstone Road, Havant, Hampshire, PO9 1SA.

The Xyratex group of companies also includes, Xyratex Ltd, registered in Bermuda, Xyratex International Inc, registered in California, Xyratex (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd registered in Malaysia, Xyratex Technology (Wuxi) Co Ltd registered in The People's Republic of China and Xyratex Japan Limited registered in Japan.