[Lustre-devel] Lustre RPC related information

Andreas Dilger andreas.dilger at oracle.com
Sun Nov 14 13:48:50 PST 2010

Vilobh Meshram wrote:
> Amongst all these RPC which all are for lock related request and which do not ask for locks .E.g OBD_PING does not asks for locks where as LDLM_ENQUEUE is the main entry point for handling lock related request.It would also be great if you can tell me with which system call which RPC might be invoked.Thanks.
>

> MDS_CONNECT
> MDS_DISCONNECT

These are used to do initial connect to the MDS service.

> MDS_GETSTATUS

Gets the root inode for the filesystem.

> MDS_GETATTR
> MDS_GETATTR_NAME

Gets inode attributes (by inode number or by name), but not used very often since client prefers to get attributes in conjunction with a lock.

> MDS_SETXATTR
> MDS_GETXATTR

For getting or setting extended attributes (e.g. ACLs or user xattrs).

> MDS_STATFS

Gets filesystem space usage (blocks and inodes).

> MDS_READPAGE

Read aone or more directory pages.

> MDS_REINT

All filesystem modifying RPCs.

> MDS_CLOSE

Close a file.
> MDS_DONE_WRITING

For size-on-mds, currently unused.

> MDS_PIN

Pin current working directory, currently unused.

> MDS_SYNC

Sync MDT filesystem  operations to disk.

> MDS_SET_INFO

Misc flags setting (e.g. Set client export read-only).

> MDS_QUOTACHECK
> MDS_QUOTACTL
> OBD_QC_CALLBACK

For quota checks.

> MDS_WRITEPAGE

Currently unused (for CMD directory split, but will probably be removed and done differently).

> MDS_IS_SUBDIR

For CMD directory loop checking.

> OBD_PING

Export keepalive from client.

> OBD_LOG_CANCEL

Complete distributed transaction.

> LDLM_ENQUEUE

Enqueue a new lock.

> LDLM_CONVERT

Convert existing lock type (unused)

> LDLM_CANCEL

Cancel lock.

> LDLM_BL_CALLBACK
> LDLM_CP_CALLBACK

Callback from server to client to cancel existing lock or grant pending lock.

> LDLM_GL_CALLBACK

Trylock or return lock state to caller (for  ls -l).

Cheers, Andreasw