[Lustre-devel] Stripe offset default

Andreas Dilger andreas.dilger at oracle.com
Tue Nov 23 13:47:40 PST 2010

On 2010-11-23, at 13:50, Peter Braam wrote:
> The  proposal for acl / Group / users violates Posix, and may lead to results users don't expect.  Sgid directories and inheritance on ACLs are safer I think.

I think you misunderstood Eric's comment.  He wasn't suggesting that the use of an OST pool would set the user, group, or ACL of a file created within that pool.  That would indeed be confusing to users.

Rather, Eric was suggesting that there should be a user/group/ACL permission check for the _use_ of a particular pool, so that only allowed users/groups could access the "SSD" pool, for instance.  That has been under discussion for a long time already, and is a natural extension of the base OST pool functionality.  Extending this further to allow and/or select pools based on the originating client NID or the filename also makes sense.

> On Nov 23, 2010, at 10:20, "Eric Barton" <eeb at whamcloud.com> wrote:
>> P.S. Do people also agree that setting user/group/ACL permissions on
>> OST pools would be a Good Thing?

Lustre Technical Lead
Oracle Corporation Canada Inc.