[Lustre-devel] Query to understand the Lustre request/reply message

Vilobh Meshram vilobh.meshram at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 15:17:06 PDT 2010

Thanks Alexey.It was helpful.

I have one more question :-

If we want to add a new RPC with a new opcode are there any guidlines to be
followed in the Lustre File System.

Also ,
1)How does the MDS process the ptlrpc_request i.e how does the MDS extract
the buffer information from the ptlrpc_message.
2)For every new RPC is the message length which is to be sent on wire (
including the fixed header size + the buffer size) dependent on the number
of buffers in the lustre request message i.e the count field in the
ptlrpc_prep_req() or the size of the size[] array.

Thanks,
Vilobh
*Graduate Research Associate
Department of Computer Science
The Ohio State University Columbus Ohio*