[Lustre-devel] Query to understand the Lustre request/reply message

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at oracle.com
Wed Oct 13 00:15:07 PDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 08:54:57AM +0300, Alexey Lyashkov wrote:
> On Oct 13, 2010, at 08:42, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:35:13AM -0400, Vilobh Meshram wrote:
> >> Thanks a lot Alexey for the reply.The information will be really useful.
> >>
> >> Since I am using 1.8.1.1 for my research project I will have to rely on the
> >> old API.Since in the source tree prior to 2.0 we do not have a
> >> mdt/mdt_handler.c and layout.c files will have to work with the low level
> >> buffer management structures(ptlrpc_request,lustre_msg_v2,etc).Do you know a
> >> place or a function which make use of the old API which I can use as a
> >> reference to write the RPC for my task.
> >

> > Compared to the old thing, the new API is much closer to an IDL.  It's a
> > good thing.  I strongly recommend that you use it,
> >
> main problem - lustre 1.8.1 don't have the new API :)

You'll note that Vilobh did not provide any rationale for his/her choice
of Lustre version.  Without having any other good reason for picking 1.8
or 2.0, I strongly recommend 2.0.

Now, perhaps Vilobh has a need to interop with an installed base of 1.8.
That would be a good reason to do this in 1.8.  But the work will have
to be done for 2.0 as well.

Nico