[Lustre-devel] Query to understand the Lustre request/reply message

Andreas Dilger andreas.dilger at oracle.com
Thu Oct 14 07:31:26 PDT 2010

On 2010-10-13, at 23:18, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 06:38:16AM +0300, Alexey Lyashkov wrote:
>> On Oct 14, 2010, at 03:28, Nicolas Williams wrote:
>>> Yes, it's possible to add buffers to requests.  It's not possible to add
>>> buffers to _replies_ to existing RPCs unless you know the client expects
>>> those additional buffers -- existing clients expect a given maxsize for
>>> each reply, and if your reply is bigger then it will get dropped.
>> It is wrong for last ~1year.
>> ~1year ago i add code to ptlrpc layer which a adjust buffer for reply, and resend a request.
>
> Ah, I didn't know that was in 1.8.  Are there interop issues (with older
> clients) though with sending larger replies than expected?

Nico, it has always been possible in the past to increase the size of any buffer in a request, or in a reply (if the total reply size will fit into the pre-allocated reply buffer).  An older peer would just ignore the bytes beyond the known part of the buffer.

Is that not true with the 2.x RPC handling?

Lustre Technical Lead
Oracle Corporation Canada Inc.