[Lustre-devel] client i/o and PG_writeback

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Thu Aug 11 12:38:33 PDT 2011

On 2011-08-11, at 12:21 PM, Jinshan Xiong wrote:
> Another problem I can think of is page checksum, if a page changes again
> during transfer, wrong checksum will be detected on the server side.

Actually, the kernel now uses PG_writeback to protect the page from being
modified while it is being written to disk (or in our case sent to the
network).  This was recently fixed for ext4 and other filesystems so that
they can run properly on devices that support T10-DIF checksums.  Otherwise
the disk keeps reporting checksum errors for files that were modified during
IO.

Lustre has a workaround for the case where the page is mmapped and is
modified during RPC sending (the only case today where the page can be
modified during IO), but it would be better not to have this workaround
at all.  In this case the OSS detects the checksum error and the client
resends like any other data corruption, but there is a flag in the RPC
that silences the error messages that would otherwise be printed.