[Lustre-devel] How can the name_to_handle() syscall benefit Lustre

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Sun Jan 30 11:13:04 PST 2011

This is something that I think would be very useful for Lustre in conjunction with the Lustre MPI ADIO driver. The MPI rank-0 node could do the path traversal and generate a file handle via name_to_handle() and then MPI broadcast the file handle to all of the other MPI processes, which can use it to open the shared file. This could save many thousands of MDS RPCs to do path traversal for each client in a large MPI job.

Cheers, Andreas