[Lustre-devel] How can the name_to_handle() syscall benefit Lustre

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Mon Jan 31 13:35:01 PST 2011

On 2011-01-31, at 09:52, James Simmons wrote:
> Andreas Dilger wrote:
>> This is something that I think would be very useful for Lustre in conjunction with the Lustre MPI ADIO driver. The MPI rank-0 node
>> could do the path traversal and generate a file handle via name_to_handle() and then MPI broadcast the file handle to all of the
>> other MPI processes, which can use it to open the shared file. This could save many thousands of MDS RPCs to do path traversal for
>> each client in a large MPI job.
>
> I thought the name_to_handle syscall idea was shot down?

I don't think it was shot down, as much as it hasn't yet been accepted.  I've tried to support it in a form that would be useful to Lustre/MPI, and while it isn't quite where I'd like it to be, I think the flaws in the implementation are not insurmountable.

The current proposal is lacking a well-defined permanent filesystem identifier in each handle (i.e. a UUID as part of the public fh structure), but I think Lustre can still include the UUID as part of the private fh and have the userspace code map that back to a specific Lustre mountpoint, since it would be implemented as part of the Lustre ADIO layer.