[Lustre-devel] NRS HLD

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Mon Jul 11 12:46:08 PDT 2011

I don't know if this feature is listed specifically in Qian's NRS design, but the idea is simple. The desire is to guarantee some node or cluster (~= LNET network) a specific amount of bandwidth, so that it is not starved for bandwidth when competing against a large cluster with many thousands of clients. Simple Client-Based RR will uniformly allocate bandwidth to each client, but this will weight the aggregate bandwidth by the ratio of clients in each network.

Having Network-Based RR would be better (allowing uniform bandwidth sharing among the networks) , but the most flexible and usable policy from a user/admin point of view is to ensure that some client/network can always get N MB/s, preferably in relatively uniform increments over the second, if it has any outstanding requests.

A simple extension to this policy is to allow limiting bandwidth for a specific client or network to some maximum over each second.

Cheers, Andreas