[Lustre-devel] F/S stats visualisation

Johann Lombardi johann at whamcloud.com
Mon May 2 08:43:28 PDT 2011

Hi Ashley,

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 12:06:06AM -0700, Ashley Pittman wrote:
> What do you think of the blue lines showing total number of inodes?  It appears to me as though df -i and lfs df -i are reporting different numbers for this value which I'm not able to easily explain.

The total number of inodes can indeed be different between df (statfs(2)) and lfs df (lustre's ioctl). File creation can also fail with ENOSPC if you run out of objects on the OSTs, although the MDT might still have free inodes. Therefore the number of free inodes as well as the total number of inodes returned through statfs(2) are adjusted if the MDT has more free inodes than the OSTs.
You can check ll_statfs_internal() to see how this is computed.

HTH

Johann

--
Johann Lombardi