[Lustre-devel] Research on filesystem metadata operation distribution

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Thu May 5 11:05:42 PDT 2011

On May 5, 2011, at 11:54, Thomas Roth wrote:
> At GSI, we have
>
> lctl get_param mds.*.stats | egrep "open|close|rename|link|attr|sync"
> open                      10302752480 samples [reqs]
> close                     528292519 samples [reqs]
> unlink                    22292174 samples [reqs]
> rename                    542512 samples [reqs]
> getxattr                  408511496 samples [reqs]
> setxattr                  838368 samples [reqs]
> setattr                   27097846 samples [reqs]
> getattr                   738233548 samples [reqs]
>
> Output of 'lfs df' is attached.

While it wasn't my original goal in asking for this data, a question I've been asking all of the sites that have filesystems with OSTs of different sizes is whether they use (and/or continue to use) an external process for balancing the space used on the OSTs (e.g. migrating of files, or marking OSTs inactive on the MDS once they have reached some threshold of space usage), or if the existing space balancing mechanism in the MDS was able to get this relatively uniform space utilization?