[Lustre-devel] Technical debt in the lustre build system

Ken Hornstein kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Mon May 9 19:53:23 PDT 2011

>So I'd like to start a discussion about where we need to go with the
>build system.  Here are some of the things off the top of my head that
>are problems that need to be addressed, or improvements that I think we
>should make.
>[...]

I agree with everything you've said, but I'd like to add one thing:

9) Portability

   This drives me nuts on the Mac port; the build system has a fair amount
   of cruft left over (see autoMakefile versus Makefile.am, for starters).
   If we're thinking about long-term plans on the build system, thinking
   about portability is important.

   (On the Mac, and AFAIK all other operating systems other than
   Linux, building a kernel module is relatively straightforward;
   just compile everything with a few extra options).

--Ken